Flies are important pest and fall into several groups. They mostly live in association of human and their activities and many of these insects have affected man and his welfare for thousands of years.
Some flies are associated with filth and hence their presence is very embarrassing to the home owner. Flies hovering around can cause annoyance to anyone; they can be intensely irritating when they settle in swarms on man and beast and may result in production loss in any labour intensive industry.
Few species of flies are also known to bite and spread diseases to human and domestic animals, whereas yet another would simply multiply in fruits or decomposing animal carcasses.
Some important category of flies include
- Filth flies or housefly and its relatives (Muscidae)
- Flesh flies (Sarcophagidae)
- Bottle flies and blowflies (Calliphoridae)
- Black flies (Simuliidae)
- Horseflies and deer flies (Tabanidae)
- Fruit flies (Drosophilidae)